Friday, March 23, 2012

PACKAGE START / PACKAGEEND In SSIS

This is a repeat listing - third time - of this problem.

Here's the deal:
If I turn on logging on an SSIS package in Development Studio, when the package executes it will log all the events I choose to the sysdtslog90 table in the MSDB database - INCLUDING the PACKAGESTART and PACKAGEEND events.

When I create my own custom logging, however, those two events ARE NOT being logged, even though I explicitly state in my script I want those two logged. Everything else in the script (OnWarning, OnPreExecute, OnPostExecute, etc.) is being logged.

In my reading, it states that the PACKAGESTART and PACKAGEEND events are defaults and are always logged and cannot be excluded.

If this is the case, can someone explain why they aren't getting logged?

I've seen other people have run across the same issue...This is largely due to technical issues within SSIS. In their rush to release SSIS with SQL Server 2005, Microsoft was unable to get the product fully assed. As a result, SSIS is half-assed at best, and portions of it are barely one quarter assed. You can add this glitch to a collection of SSIS inadequacies, including the ability to import XML but not the ability to export XML, and the ability to add headers to output files but not footers.|||I heard tale that SP2 supposedly clears this up? Is that what you've heard, or can I pretty much just hang it up?

Thanks!|||I haven't heard anything about SP2. Sure would be nice if they someday finished the application they rolled out.|||This is largely due to technical issues within SSIS. In their rush to release SSIS with SQL Server 2005, Microsoft was unable to get the product fully assed. As a result, SSIS is half-assed at best, and portions of it are barely one quarter assed. You can add this glitch to a collection of SSIS inadequacies, including the ability to import XML but not the ability to export XML, and the ability to add headers to output files but not footers.I didn't know that. Gives me a nice "after the fact" sense of smugness that I have so far been able to avoid using the pesky thing entirely.


I heard tale that SP2 supposedly clears this up? Is that what you've heard, or can I pretty much just hang it up?

Got any links? I would like to keep up even if I still come to the conclusion that it is more hassle than it is worth.|||Here ya go:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=d07219b2-1e23-49c8-8f0c-63fa18f26d3a&DisplayLang=en|||To any and all interested parties:

I eventually got a response from the Mothsership herself...see below:

I believe the reason the package in the linked thread was working after SP2 is that it was using an Execute Package task, while you are using a script task. The problems you're seeing don't seem to have anything to do with your custom logger - I was able to reproduce the issue using a simple package with a SQL Logger configured.

The PackageStart and PackageEnd events are special, in that they are always fired, regardless of filtering. However, it looks like executing a package through the script task stops the event from actually being propogated up. I'm unable to determine the cause right now, but I will log an internal bug for further investigation.

As a workaround, could you instead fire a custom event from inside the script task, right before you execute the child package?

This response came directly from someone at Microsoft...

The squeaky wheel does indeed get the grease! I guess we can keep our eyes hopefully peeled for a HotFix maybe...or at least getting this addressed in a future Service Pack.|||...I'm unable to determine the cause right now, but I will log an internal bug for further investigation. One step closer to ass-completeness.|||Man...you crack me up seriously!!!!

Kudos, Blindman ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment