Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Packages, Jobs and Scheduling issues

I'm starting to have second thoughts about switching to SQL 2005.

After hours of trying, I finally managed to get SSIS packages to run as intended. Now, I need to create a schedule for the package. I create a job, owned by the Local System account, which SQL Server Agent also uses. I can run the Package myself, but when I schedule it, it always fails. After much trial and error, I decided to give up on this manner of running SSIS packages. I decided to create the job as a CmdExec type job instead. When run manually, it woks fine, but when I schedule it, it doesn't run. Now, it's not that it gives an error message, it just DOESN'T run, it appears as "not scheduled" in the Job Activity Monitor, even though the schedule is listed in the Schedules property. How then, can I schedule the command to run? Thanks for the info.

The reason is very simple the local systems account does not have access to network resources anything you run through that account fails. xp_cmdshell is a better choice but you have to create a proxy to admin level account to run the Agent. All you need is covered below post again if you still need help, I know it works and can run for hours like clock work.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/912911

|||

I usually run the Sql Server Agent under a service account that has the privilges required to run any processing.

You may run into another issue where errors in Analysis Services Commands are not reported when run via the Sql Server Agent. I am in the process of trying to find out if MS is aware of this issue. It appears to be an issue in all versions of SQL 2005 up to and including SP2.

sql

No comments:

Post a Comment