Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Package is getting Parent variables too late?...

Hi,

I am sending variables from package to package by configuration parent packages in each package...
I usually set logging to text files in a certain path that should be received from the parent variable... the strange thing is that if i let the variable in the child package with an incorrect path, my package just through an error even if i am passing the variable from the parent with a correct value...


So... my question is... does my package starts execution without any synch over the parent packages? When are they set? How can i be sure to start my logging with the right parent variable settings?

You can try for example to create a package... add a new variable like "A" and "B" set its value to a default string like "I DONT WANT THIS", add an Execute SQL Task that will record the values of "A" variable to a temporary table...

Then use dtexecui.exe to execute the package and set variable "A" to "THIS IS WHAT I NEED" you will see that in the table will appear one record with the "I DONT WANT THIS" value...

I can't understand this...

Also... if i have 100 variables configured to get values from the parent... is the execution synch or asynch?

Best Regards,

Parent variable configuration is applied to child package at runtime after all other package configuration types are applied and loggers initialized. This is a design decision we have made. To workaround this, you have to use other form of package configuration like XML, SQL Server, etc.|||

So, tell me... even if thats the case... why my parent variables are not set when a certain Execute SQL Task gets actually executed, inserting incorrect values into the table? This is not a very good procedure... How can we make sure to be using the right values in the child package, based on the parent values?

Regards,

|||This should have work. Did you see any error/warning messages about package failed to apply any parent variable configuration?|||

Nop, no errors and no warnings... This is defenitly odd..

Regards

|||

I have had problems with this as well...

http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2045623&SiteID=1

sql

No comments:

Post a Comment