Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Package designer- feature pack

after installing the Microsoft SQL Server 2000 DTS Designer Com feature pack and then restarting my management studio, I still cannot see or edit my dts packages. I also tried editing them in the integration services consule but no luck there. I see them under the msdb and have no option to edit them.

Has anyone got this utility to work?

Thanks,
David

From Management Studio, connect to the server where you have your .dts packages saved, go to Management->Legacy->Data Transformation Service, when you see the list of dts packages, right click on one and choose Open. It works for me fine.

You can not use Integration Service designer to open or edit your .dts packages, that's expected.

Thanks

wenyang

|||Im guessing that your opening the packages stored on a sql 2000 server and not a 2005. I tried moving them to my 2005 server and opening them, but am not seeing them.

Thanks for the response.|||

Yes, I was connecting to a sql2000 instance from a sql2005 server, and everything worked fine that way. I now also tried in your way, I agree there maybe an issue here connecting to a .dts package saved on a sql2005 server, which I am observing right now. However, here is a work around for you to at least make your scenario work

At your box where Sql2005 is installed

1. Connect to a sql2000 instance first to see that the .dts package openned without a problem (that's what I got).

2. In that legacy designer UI, choose save your .dts package as "Structured Storage File" (instead of saving it to a sql server) to the local box.

3. Then in SqlServer2005 Management Studio, go to Management | Legacy | Data Transformation Service, right click and choose "Open package file" pointing to that .dts file.

That works for me and hope the same for you. If not, please let me know what you get and I'll follow up.

Thanks

Wenyang

|||

thanks much. I just got done going through the same scenario..

Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment