Monday, March 12, 2012

Package Configuration

Hi All,

I have couple of properties in my package Configuration

(1) Lets me know the Folder path - where I have file processing

(2) Connection String

When working in the Development machine, I am able to play around these values and test the application. I have tried both XML Configuration and SQL Server Configuration

But during deployment in the Test Server, the values in the Configuration are not getting reflected automatically and takes the values assigned during deployment

I tried importing the XML file and it works. But the values are not persistant.After running the package, the value gets resetted to the old value. Every time I run my package, I am reassingning my package variables.

Be it XML Configuration File or SQL Server, I would like to have the variables pulled out from the Configuration I am setting during the deployment. the values should be persistant and should refer the updated values.

Any help will be highly appreciated...thanks

When you move to the test server, do you:
- copy the configuration file to the server
- ensure that SSIS knows to look for the file in the correct place on the new server
- have the configuration file listed in the Package Configurations list? (Right-click Control flow background, select Package Configurations)|||

Phil, Thanks for sharing your thought.

I have configured the XML Package Configuration File during my development and placed the file along with my SSIS Packages in the same folder. But my IS is not picking up the Configuraiton file in my test Environment (new Server.

Any suggestions on how to solve this issue.

Thanks

Evan

|||

Web Explorer wrote:

Phil, Thanks for sharing your thought.

I have configured the XML Package Configuration File during my development and placed the file along with my SSIS Packages in the same folder. But my IS is not picking up the Configuraiton file in my test Environment (new Server.

Any suggestions on how to solve this issue.

Thanks

Evan

Pretty much I have nothing more to add other than the list of things to check above. Is the directory path to the config file exactly the same on the test server compared to the dev server?|||When you open the package on the test server, do you get any warnings? (CTRL-E to open that window if it isn't already)|||

no....I purposely wanted to have the folder structure different in Dev and test Server, because during the actual deployment, we should have the flexibility to change the folder structure accoding to the environment.

I am sure If the directory matches IS is going to pick our files. But I want my setting in the XML Config file to be referred in the test server

Thanks

Evan

|||I dont get any warnings Error. When the package runs, it says that the for each container is empty as its trying to refer a different folder|||

Web Explorer wrote:

no....I purposely wanted to have the folder structure different in Dev and test Server, because during the actual deployment, we should have the flexibility to change the folder structure accoding to the environment.

I am sure If the directory matches IS is going to pick our files. But I want my setting in the XML Config file to be referred in the test server

Thanks

Evan

Right, but you have to understand that SSIS needs to know where to look for the XML configuration file. The path specified cannot change, UNLESS you use an environment variable to define the path to the XML configuration file.|||There are obviously two things going on here.

1 - Can SSIS find the XML configuration file
2 - When it does find the configuration file, is it picking up the values contained within

Assuming SSIS picks up the configuration file in DEV and sets the value accordingly, then it should work in TEST provided it can find the configuration file.|||

Thanks a lot for your useful thoughts.

Finally got this working.

Configured a XML Configuration File and Also configured an Environment Variable.

After deploying the XML configuration file in the test server and configuring the Environment variable, a re-boot is necessary.

I found that after restarting the machine, the test server started to work perfectly.

Thanks a ton for your timely help.

Regards,

Evan

|||Check out this thread of similar problems, for an explanation, perhaps of what was going on with your issue. Specifically my last post.

http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1347857&SiteID=1

No comments:

Post a Comment