Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Package configuration, Parent-child packages and Job scheduling

Hi,

I've found this problem that when I change settings in my configuration file it does not automatically apply to all child packages which uses the same configuration file if run from a job in SQL Server Agent. I need to open the package and save it again from BIDS. I use one "load group" package to execute all other packages.

Is there a way from the job configuration to set a setting so the package allways will have the newest configuration?

Regards
Simon
Hi,

Seems like noone has an answer for this.

Isn't it a fundamentally important that changes in configuration files automatically apply to packages that uses them. Am I the only one with this problem?

Regards
Simon
|||I haven't observed it myself. This only occurs when you are running from the SQL Agent? Does it work properly when you run from the command line?|||

When the package is loaded it will lok at the config settings. If you aren't passing entries from the parent to the child then it will get them from the config file (where are you holding the config settings - sounds like xml?).

You seem to be suggesting the parent package gets the correct values but the child packages get old values. I've not seen a package ignore a config file - are you sure the packages are reading the correct files? Are the files on the same server (where the packages are being run)?

Opening the package and saving it again shouldn't affect the config entries unless you look at them - in which case they will be overwritten with the values in the package.

|||

Hi,

I have the same problem with configuration file being ignored when executed ssis package via sql agent job. Have you found the solution to the problem yet?

regards,

mnguyen

|||

mnguyen wrote:

Hi,

I have the same problem with configuration file being ignored when executed ssis package via sql agent job. Have you found the solution to the problem yet?

regards,

mnguyen

If the package is running with the default values, maybe it is not able to find the configuration file. Are you sure it is in an appropriate location? Have you tried explicitly setting the configuration file via the /ConfigFile switch?

|||Thanks both to NigelRivett and jwelch for your suggestions and I'm sorry that I've havn't had the time to reply.

When I return from holiday I will investegate futher...
|||

mnguyen wrote:

Hi,

I have the same problem with configuration file being ignored when executed ssis package via sql agent job. Have you found the solution to the problem yet?

regards,

mnguyen

I spoke with mnguyen offline and we determined that it was an issue with using a relative path to the configuration file.

No comments:

Post a Comment