Monday, March 12, 2012

Package Configuration in Dev enviornment

Am I missing something, I can't find any way to specific the XML configuration file when I try and run my package in Debug of BIDS. My OLE DB connections are all failing due to a lack of a password. I can set the password in BIDS but its forgotten as soon as I start Debug or build the solution. The only way I seem to be able to run my package (now that I have enabled configurations) is to de-select the enable configurations box.

I've tried putting a configuartion file in the Deployment folder, the bin folder and the project root folder all to the same result.

Unless you are using Indirect Configurations (http://blogs.conchango.com/jamiethomson/archive/2005/11/02/2342.aspx) the path to the .dtsconfig file is stored in your package so you have to make sure that that is where the file resides.

Its got nothing to do with the Deployment, bin or project root folder.

-Jamie

|||

The Indirect Configurations look handy I think I might try and change my package to use those.

So I finally figured out what was going on, this was driving me crazy. So when using the Package configuration wizard, in the specify configuration settings directly, I had typed a filename. I had clicked on the Browse button to see that it was looking into the project directory for the default directory on the file dialog. Apparently I never used the Save button while trying to set this up. I just assumed that was the directory and thus I never had the fully qualified path to the file. I had redone this while searching for a solution and even then, with the filename in the wizard text box I had clicked Browse, when I saw it was the directory where the file actually was I think I clicked Cancel.

So now I'm able to read the values. One error left and my first package is deployed, this might be a good friday after all! (edit: *no pun was intended*)

No comments:

Post a Comment