Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Overwriting backups

I'm backing up my transaction log on backup device every 15 minutes. I want
every backup expire in 1 hour so only 4 sequential transaction log backups
reside on my backup device. How do I do that? Thank you in advance
Leon
Hi Leon,
If you are using DB Maintenance plan, in the transaction log backup section,
"Remove file older than" provides the functionality you are looking for.
And if you are using, T-SQL you can specify "RETAINDAYS" parameter.
Check out for BACKUP in BOL.
Thanks
Yogish
"Leon Shargorodsky" wrote:

> I'm backing up my transaction log on backup device every 15 minutes. I want
> every backup expire in 1 hour so only 4 sequential transaction log backups
> reside on my backup device. How do I do that? Thank you in advance
> Leon
|||Thanks for your reply, Yogish, but this is not what I'm asking for.
The key-word here is BACKUP DEVICE, Maintenance Plan does not have option to
backup to a DEVICE.
"Yogish" wrote:
[vbcol=seagreen]
> Hi Leon,
> If you are using DB Maintenance plan, in the transaction log backup section,
> "Remove file older than" provides the functionality you are looking for.
> And if you are using, T-SQL you can specify "RETAINDAYS" parameter.
> Check out for BACKUP in BOL.
> --
> Thanks
> Yogish
> "Leon Shargorodsky" wrote:

No comments:

Post a Comment